Detecting a Mold Problem
While we can utilize sophisticated equipment to identify a mold problem, most people will determine that they have a mold problem because they see mold, see moisture, smell mold, have experienced water damage or are currently experiencing some health issue often associated with the presence of mold.
Visible mold damage is usually easy to detect. Mold typically comes in the form of a slimy, greenish-black colored, gelatinous mold substance with a wet layer on top. However, you may also find dry and powdery mold which occurs when mold has lost its water source.
Even when mold does not appear to be present in your home, if you see a lot of condensation, this is a sign that you have a high amount of moisture and, consequently, may have a mold problem. Condensation is often most noticeable on surfaces like mirrors, windows or metal pipes, but its presence on these surfaces is indicative that it is also present in materials that support mold growth.
Hidden mold colonies will usually alert you to their whereabouts as mold has a distinct, musty odor.
Past Water Damage
If your home or business has experienced major water damage or been flooded in the past and not restored properly, it is likely that mold may still be present. Water damage and floods often lead to environments where mold is growing out of view...behind walls, in the ceiling or under floors.
Even if you aren’t sure if you see black mold on your property, there can also be other physical symptoms of toxic mold that may be cause for concern. Common physical symptoms of black mold include:
- Respiratory issues
- Skin irritation and inflammation
- Mental impairment, tiredness, and nausea
- Suppressed immune system
- Mucous membranes irritation
Whether displayed out in the open or hidden in your walls, mold testing is a critical step in the process. Mold must be eliminated because exposure can cause mild to severe allergic reactions depending upon each individual in the home.